menu
menu
Calendar
Sport at Newton

Sport at Newton

We are often asked about the difference between PE (Physical Education) and Games.

Through a varied Physical Education curriculum, students have the opportunity to develop physically and creatively through activities such as athletics, table tennis, gymnastics, basketball and fitness, tennis, tag rugby.

Within the Games programme all students will have the opportunity to develop competitiveness, leadership, sportsmanship and teamwork in traditional team sports. Every upper school student will also represent Newton Prep in fixtures against other schools. 

Students running outside on the astroturf

For a central London school, we have exceptional onsite facilities, allowing us to offer a broad and dynamic sporting curriculum, which evolves and adapts every year.

We aim to nurture and develop the competence and confidence of all children in a range of activities.  A balanced provision of ‘sport for all’, physical fitness, pupil progress and competitive opportunities allows students to leave us with a lifelong passion for sport and physical activity.

The Sports Team

• Charlie Blair, Director of Sport
  • Esther King, Head of Girls' Games
  • James Wyatt, Head of Boys' Games
  • Riaz Hossenbux, Head of Lower School PE
  • Anna Butler, PE/Games Teacher i/c Year 2 PE
  • Ashley Ferdinand, Senior Games Coach
  • Sarah Hoad, Girls' Games Coach

Just a handful of the sports stats from this year:

• Over 350 fixtures were played across the year
  • Over a quarter of the school calendar is sport-related
  • Over 500 GymRun Fitness Colour badges were earned
  • Annually, there are 26 House sports tournaments
  • We run three sports days: Lower School, Years 3 and 4, Years 5-8
  • The sports team offer 35 clubs over the year

Fixtures

Newton Prep offer fixtures for all students from Year 4-8. Teams are matched up on ability, location and cohort numbers to created balanced competition. We also regularly compete in regional and national competitions in our core seasonal sports. Our Upper School annual Sports Days are held at the Battersea Park Arena where all students have the opportunity to compete.

If your child is selected to play for the school for any fixture, you will receive a Clarion Call email the Friday before the match, with information on the venue, date, time and the kit list your child will need to bring.