Back to main website Back to main website Newton-Prep-School Logo
Over 650 Number of pupils who currently study at Newton Preparatory School 1991 The year that Newton Prep opened
Newton Prep children are focused and motivated to succeed in their academic studies.
Newton Prep Parent
Sub Menu

High Ability Art

Newton Prep Parent

At Newton Prep we want all children to love art and feel confident about expressing themselves visually.

We try to ensure that this happens by making our projects fun, wide ranging and accessible. We ensure that each project builds on previous experience and that new concepts and skills are introduced at appropriate ages. We do our best to encourage children of all abilities and want every child to feel proud of the work they produce. Our main concern is that all children should enjoy art and be given the necessary support and opportunity to develop their potential to the full. Our art teachers are trained artists and have extensive knowledge of their subject and a great deal of teaching experience. Children are helped to refine and develop excellent skills using a wide range of different media and processes and achieve exceptionally high standards for their age.

At the upper end of the school we believe that we offer unrivalled opportunities for gifted students. Children who demonstrate strong potential or special ability, are selected, to attend an after school class called Art Extension. This class takes place after school every week and lasts an hour, though children are encouraged to do further work in their own time. The Art Extension class is essentially a scholarship group, and is aimed at children from Year 5 upwards. Particular focus is placed on the development of observational drawing skills, though a very wide range of projects and different approaches are covered. Through the setting of challenging work and special sessions with outside artists, students gradually build a wide ranging portfolio ready for art scholarship applications to senior schools at 11+ and 13+. Our students have an excellent record of wining art scholarships to popular senior schools. We have had professional life models pose for the class and have had visiting artists in to work with the children. In the past our art teachers have taken the art extension students to museums and galleries to draw over holiday periods.

Children who demonstrate particular ability in art, or in a particular area of the subject,  follow the same class project or topic as their peers in their timetabled art lessons but they are encouraged to extend their work a little further, or may be set related work that is  a little more challenging. We do not have a policy of setting art homework but children who are keen, or who show particular potential, are encouraged to do extra drawing out of school and the teacher will help suggest work and review the work produced with the child. Children in the Art Extension class are expected to practise drawing on a regular basis.

All children in Years 3 – 8 keep a sketchbook that they use in class and children are encouraged to keep sketchbooks out of school.

Newton Prep Parent