Back to main website Back to main website Newton-Prep-School Logo
74025 House Points won by Upper School alone in 2015-16! 384 sporting fixtures played by Newton Prep in 2016-17
The most important thing is that the child is happy; learning then comes naturally. If the child wants to be at school and the spark is there they will be enthused about their learning.
Foundation Stage Co-ordinator
Sub Menu

Sport Overview & Facilities

Foundation Stage Co-ordinator

PE Department

We aim to nurture and develop the competence and confidence of all children in a range of activities. A balanced provision of ‘sport for all’ and competitive opportunities allows students to leave us with a lifelong passion for sport and physical activity.

Through a varied Physical Education curriculum, students have the opportunity to develop physically and creatively through activities such as athletics, table tennis, gymnastics, basketball and fitness, tennis, tag rugby.

Within the Games programme all students will have the opportunity to develop competiveness, leadership, sportsmanship and teamwork in traditional team sports. Every upper school student will also represent Newton Prep in fixtures against other schools. 

Charlie Blair (Director of Sport)  

Esther King   (Head of Girls' Games)

James Wyatt (Head of Boys’ Games)
Anna Sykes-Brown (Teacher of Girls’ Games) Riaz Hossenbux (Head of Lower School PE))
Ashley Ferdinand (Boys' Games Coach) Sarah Hoad (Girls' Games Coach)

Facilities

Newton Prep has some exceptional sporting facilities.

• 70m x 40m all-weather floodlit Astroturf pitch
  • Sports Hall (with viewing mezzanine)
  • Indoor cricket nets
  • Two sprung wooden floored gymnasiums (one with bespoke wall bars)

These facilities offer pupils access to an large range of sports beyond our immediate curriculum, including badminton, basketball and trampolining, complete with a viewing mezzanine for parents and supporters.

Curriculum

Lower School (Reception – Year 2) children learn and improve basic fundamental motor skills and physical literacy, through fun games and gymnastics. These skills are later applied by the children in more structured game situations.

Upper School (Years 3 – 8) Physical Education curriculum incorporates swimming (Year 3-4), fitness, basketball, gymnastics, tag-rugby, table tennis and athletics. Additionally Year 8s also complete a sports leadership unit. 

Extracurricular Activities

Staff-Run Clubs

Activities (External Providers)

Running

Football

Netball

Hockey

Cricket

Rounders

Rugby

Scholarship Prep

Fitness suite

Ballet

Tennis

Judo

Fencing

Yoga

Dance (Tap/Jazz)

Gymnastics

Table Tennis (with Olympian-Darius Knight)

Fixtures

Newton Prep offer fixtures for all students from Year 4-8. Teams are matched up on ability, location and cohort numbers to created balanced competition. We also regularly compete in regional and national competitions in our core seasonal sports. Our annual Sports Day is held at the Battersea Park Arena where all students have the opportunity to compete.

If your child is selected to play for the school for any fixture, you will receive a Clarion Call email the Friday before the match, with information on the venue, date, time and the kit list your child will need to bring.

Foundation Stage Co-ordinator